30 days to write, produce, film, and edit a comedic short film
Comedy Spot Short Film Challenge participants had 30 days to write, produce, film, and edit a comedic short film. Each year’s challenge will feature a new theme, and the theme of the 2021 challenge was WHEELS! Completed films premiered during a special live stream event over two nights, March 26 & 27, and winning films were selected in multiple categories, presented during the awards finale on March 27.
Did you miss the live screening? No worries!
You can still purchase your all-access pass to view our film challenge entries and the awards announcements!
Watch over 30 short films* from this year’s event, . Click HERE to view the broadcast schedule.
Only one (1) pass purchase is needed for your viewing group! The exclusive links to view the live stream event will be included in your confirmation email.
*Please Note: This is an open-concept challenge. Films are not rated and some entries may not be suitable for young audiences. Viewer discretion is advised.
RULES & INFORMATION
- Remember: This is a comedy short film challenge.
- All comedy short films must be written, produced, filmed, and edited between Wednesday, February 10, 2021 and Friday, March 12, 2021. You are on the honor system.
- Comedy Short Film Challenge will start accepting entry fees on Tuesday, December 29, 2020. Participants must submit the Participant Information Form along with a $25 entry fee by midnight on Monday, February 8, 2021 in order to participate. Registration fees are per film. A separate registration entry must be submitted for each film that is to be considered.
- The subject of the short film must reflect the theme of the challenge. The theme for the challenge will be announced on Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 8PM via live stream. Participants will be sent a private link to view the announcement. The announcement video will also be sent via email to all participants immediately following the live steam announcement. Be creative with the theme. Please do not adapt an existing screenplay to fit the theme.
- Films can be as short as desired but can not be more than 10 minutes long (including credits).
- Your final product should have the best quality picture and sound. We encourage participants to work together and share equipment, if possible. If you need to borrow equipment or have questions use the Contact and Equipment tab below.
- Do not use copyrighted music in your final film. Use public domain or free-to-use music and sound effects. YouTube has a FREE sound library located here: youtube.com/
Sign into your YouTube account to access.
- Participants will be emailed instructions to submit their final film. Films must be submitted in .mp4 or .mov format. Along with the final film, participants will be asked to provide a final cast and crew list and the screenplay. The submission due date is before midnight on Friday, March 12, 2021.
- Completed short films will premiere during a special, private, live stream event on Saturday, March 27, 2021. All participants will be able to view this event for free and will be sent an invite with a link to view, prior to the event.
- The nature of this challenge is truly guerilla-style filmmaking. Be careful and be responsible. By submitting an entry form and paying your entry fee, all participants release Sacramento Comedy Spot, its affiliates, successors, officers, employees, representatives, partners, and agents, in their individual and/or corporate capacity, from any and all claims, liabilities, obligations, promises, agreements, disputes, demands, damages, causes of action of any nature and kind, known or unknown, which participants has or ever had or may in the future have against Sacramento Comedy Spot.
- Health Advisory: We are currently in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. You must comply with any health precautions set forth by your local governing body.
Registration for this year’s challenge is now closed.
Remember: Friday, March 12, 2021 at 11:59PM is the deadline to submit your completed film.
All participants will be sent a Google Forms link to submit their final movie and credits. If you have not received a link, please email email@example.com.
Here are some important things to remember about your final submission:
- The name of your movie file should be the name of your movie. Example: thewheel.mov or thewheel.mp4 Remember you can only submit .mov or .mp4 files.
- Your movie file must be less than 2G.
- Before you click the Google Form link, have all the information you will need for your credits: director, writer, cast, crew, etc.
Please let us know if you have any complications.
Categories can have multiple winners. After screening each movie, our judges made recommendations on who should win each award.
We are grateful to everyone who submitted. Thank you for participating this year. We hope you will do the same next year. And please, we invite feedback on how we can improve this event, so please contact us online at saccomedyspot.com.
- Best Production Value – Films with the best overall balance of audio, video, special effects, lighting, and music.
- Creativity Award – A film with a uniquely creative theme, performance, story, and/or production element.
- Best Social Message – A film that featured a positive social message and/or advocated for social change.
- Best Special Effects – A film that features quality and/or clever special effects.
- Best Direction – A film that is funny, balanced, well executed script, and uses their resources to the best of their ability.
- Best Script – A film that has the best funny and original story.
- Best Use of Theme – A film that used the theme in an original or clever way.
- Best Ensemble Cast – A film with several funny performances that made a memorable contribution.
- Best Performance – Performer with the best overall funny, believable, and memorable performance.
- Best Film – A film that is memorable, funny, balanced, with an original story. A film that overall, is executed to the best of their ability.
- Spirit Award – Participant(s) that best embody the positive, inclusive, and collaborative spirit of this challenge.
- Judges Award – Awards that we give because we need to give them. Vary every year. Examples of Judges Awards, the name says it all…
Local Filmmaker, Screenwriter, Instructor
Comedy Spot Founder & General Manager
To ensure that the Comedy Spot Short Film Challenge represents a wide range of experiences and communities, we are working with the following community leaders and organizations to recruit participants.
Registration waivers may also be obtained for participants who have been historically underrepresented in film and comedy and for whom money is a barrier. Please email Brian Crall for more information.
Partners to be announced soon.
CONTACT & EQUIPMENT
Sacramento Comedy Spot
General Manager and Founder
916-402-4757 (Text Preferred)
- DSLR Canon 70D camera
- Rechargeable panel lights
- Mics (lots of different mics)
- Zoom recorder (battery powered)
- Older tripod (but works)
- Green material to use as a green screen
Sacramento Comedy Spot
1050 20th Street #130
Sacramento, CA 95811
916-444-3137 | @saccomedyspot
Comedy Spot Main Location
Shows 6 Nights a Week
1050 20th Street #130
Sacramento, CA 95811